Freshman, Transfer, and New Student Housing Eligibility
This policy promotes student success by providing safe, secure, and diverse residential communities with easy access to responsive professionals to help students pursue academic excellence, personal growth, leadership, and responsibility. Students who reside on campus have more opportunities to form friendships, attend campus and Church events, easily access faculty and other support services on campus, and have an improved likelihood for academic success.
Students who are admitted as freshmen or first-year students are required to live on campus for three semesters in on-campus housing.
3.1 Freshmen With Credits from High School Programs
Entering freshmen who have completed college or university credits before graduating from high school are considered first-year students and are required to live on campus for three semesters in on-campus housing.
3.2 Transfer and Returning Students
Students admitted with college or university credits completed after high school graduation are considered transfer or returning students.
Student housing status is as follows:
- Students completing between 1-12 credits before or after high school graduation are required to live on campus for two semesters. Credits must be completed and posted to the students BYU–Hawaii account by the RSVP deadline for the Semester attending (https://academics.byuh.edu/academicdates)
- Students completing between 12.1 and 24 credits after high school graduation are required to live on campus for one semester. Completed credits are credits that have been earned, credits that are in progress may not count if they are not completed by the RSVP deadline.
- Returning or Transfer students with more than 24 credits completed after high school graduation are eligible for off-campus or on-campus upper-classmen housing.
- On-campus housing for upperclassmen is based on availability and eligibility. See the Residential Life Office for eligibility requirements.
4. Related Policies and Procedures
Executive Sponsor: Student Life Vice President
Approved by President's Council: June 20, 2018
Full revision history maintained by Human Resources.